Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spectating at Berlin

I had tried in vain to recover from whatever cut-short my last long-run on 9/10. It had seemed like something bad when I could not run another step that day. Inspite of oding on ibuprofen, icing, PT sessions it was not to be enough.

I held out till the last minute. I did not want to believe that I would not be running. I went through everything I would do for a marathon. I got to the start and tried to run a bit. I knew there was no way I would get through 26 miles in a manner that would be pleasant. It would be better to enjoy the city, the race and come back to Berlin (2013?) to run it again in better shape. I removed my chip and bib and from that moment on I was in peace. I did feel a bit jealous looking at everyone with their medals but I was like whatever - "I have 22 of these things :p". I did get to enjoy the city which I would not have if I did run the marathon.

I think I just have one quality marathon a year in me. I can't just get through summer when the weather ironically is just perfect in Seattle...




3 Comments:

Blogger Plodding Blogger said...

Sub, I'm sorry to hear about your recent trials and tribulations. You've not had it easy of late. I did actually wonder whether you might have raced and searched for your result, but to no avail. I certainly wouldn't take much persuasion to do Berlin again next year. It's fast and flat and the atmosphere is second to none. I wonder if we unwittingly crossed paths at some point on Sunday...

9/27/2011 9:45 AM  
Blogger Sub said...

Thanks for your comment! Yeah - Berlin just was not meant to happen this time around... Hopefully, I get into either Boston or London.

Congratulations on your race!! That was a very well executed race and huge PR!! I read your report and have been following your posts. It's just that I don't seem to be allowed to post comments on your blog.

You have the potential to improve your time by quite a bit given the speed you have!!

Fingers crossed we'll both get to run London.

9/27/2011 10:50 AM  
Blogger Plodding Blogger said...

I'm really not sure what's going on with my blog. Would be nice if it were vaguely interactive!

Just read your post about Boston. That's lame, too. The decision seems so arbitrary but I guess there has to be a cut-off point. Of the two of us, I you get a place at London: I think you're due a lucky break!

If I don't get into London, I might focus primarily on my speed and keep up the long runs at the weekend just to maintain an aerobic base. Like you say, based on my other times I should be able to run 26.2 miles at a quicker pace. Maybe it's a mental barrier. Perhaps I should gauge my races by effort rather than time from now on.

Keep running and look after yourself. I'll be popping back intermittently :-)

9/27/2011 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics