Sunday, June 26, 2011

A weekend of two halves...

62 miles for the week. A new half marathon PR and two half marathon races on consecutive days.

Mon - 6
It was one of my slowest runs since the marathon but it will do me good. A much needed recovery run after yesterday's long run. What's with the sprinklers on the path?? I guess if the mercury rises in August I won't be complaining.

I went to a talk by "India's barefoot runner", Anand Anantharaman at MSFT. He is the organizer of a barefoot half marathon in Navi Mumbai. Despite all I have heard about the merits of barefoot running I don't intend to give up my shoes anytime soon. A wise man once said - "If it ain't broke don't fix it" :p My primary motivation for going to the talk was the free food.

Today was also a performance by the Microsoft Orchestra in the building 34 cafe. I was in awe of their talent.

Tue - 6.7 w/ 4*400m + 2 @ HMP
80F ... When I started running the original version of the Braveheart theme song was playing in my head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifr4aGA2o_A . By the time I was finishing up it had changed to the techno version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikryzBBZIU :) Got me to listen to the soundtrack from one of my favourite movies of all time: Gladiator - Now We Are Free: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xButjfhZWVU&feature=related once I was back home.

Got to love Chuck's response when I asked him if he though pacing the half on Sat would impact my race on Sunday - "Difficult to say Sub. Either ways it will make you tougher". :)) Got to love a coach who supports our craziness...

The longest day of the year!! Someday I want to be in Iceland on a day when the sun never sets :)

Sight of the day: As I threw my last pack of chocolate milk, two things went through my mind: 1) Thank god I run to burn all this off 2) Thank you Microsoft!!

Wed - 10
As I was finishing up at 10pm there was still light outside... Amazing! There will be dark and cold days in winter so we've got to relish these days...

Today was a good day in terms of goals. I made it to my first Toastmasters meeting in main campus as well as attended a MS Dance lesson. This week was salsa. I also signed up for Hip Hop lessons at the Century ballroom. That should make it 2 days of dance classes for the rest of the summer...

I got a second SLR from ebay. This I will use for underwater and sea kayaking pictures. That means I now have 5 cameras (2 SLRs, 2 POSs & a smart phone) to go with my 5 computing devices (1 PC, 1 laptop, 1 netbook, 1 tablet & a smart phone). Bill Gates' dream of "a PC in every home" isn't looking too far fetched now is it :)

Thur - 6
Wet, wet, wet... It started raining after I started running :)

I also was at the pacer booth at the RNR Seattle expo...




Sight of the day: As the cloudy day cleared up a column of mist rose from the MSFT soccer fields.

Fri - 6
A pretty tedious run after going to the expo for the pacers meeting. In the last few minutes before the expo shut the vendors were looking to get rid of their freebies. I make a killing at the Odwilla booth. Each bottle sells for $4 odd a pop and the protein bars are pretty expensive too. I probably got $50+ worth of stuff :) At work for a de-stress we got freshly baked (they brought an oven), thin crust pizzas. Pretty good food day all around :p

When I was walking back from the expo I saw a fellow pacer. I was going to catch up with him. Then I noticed that he was busy impressing a cute girl with his Boston jacket and pacer sign. I didn't want to ruin his chances so I let him be :)

Today's Monk re-run was based around the running of the San Francisco marathon :)


Sat - 13.11 - Rock and Roll marathon Seattle
Official Pacer for the 1:45 half. Finished at 1:44:25 after being to the second till mile 9. The markers were off towards the end & I had flaky GPS signal so I made the executive decision of making sure I made it in before 1:45 for sure.

Thought: It's difficult to describe the satisfaction derived from helping others accomplish their goal. Very different from achieving a personal goal.
Sun - 1
Warm-up before the race.

Sun - 13.11 - Scotiabank Vancouver Half
New PR - 1:31:53!

In the last 48 hours I had slept very little. Having to make it to 7am starts for two halves in a row. Then there was the Russell Peters & co (Majority tour) show on Sat evening. This time around I didn't have a seat next to the mike and didn't get picked on. It was fun however in a big group.

So I headed to Vancouver with *no sleep*. I was feeling sooo sleepy and tired. I wondered why I was running this race when all I wanted to do was sleep. I ran into a Canadian border official who was clearly bitchy (PMS like) at 4:30am. She wanted to know why I was driving in so slowly into the check post??? Should I have told her because I was sleepy :)

I felt good and awake once I started running. I was on 1:28:XX pace till mile 7 (the first half is significantly faster) before hitting the wall hard. My quads were toast. Held on for a PR but that's that.

I guess my body has a limit and I've hit it now. I am feverish and sick :(

Sight of the day 1: As sleepy as I was, I got to see a mesmerizing sunrise. The golden reflection of mountains on a quiet lake.

Sight of the day 2: A regal owl in the Reifel Bird Observatory. It looked amazing through the park ranger's telescope. An owl is the symbol of the goddess Lakshmi so hopefully some $$$ is forth-coming :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Plodding Blogger said...

Firstly, well done on your HM PR - great going! Secondly, I hope you're feeling a bit better. And sheesh, you've put in a couple of heavy weeks there, haven't you?!

7/02/2011 9:24 AM  
Blogger Sub said...

Thanks! The PR is still a little soft but the HM was not my goal :)

I've tried several times to post a comment on your blog but it does not let me. I keep getting into a Google sign-in loop. Anyways, looks like your training is going well. I'll be following your progress even though I might not be able to comment on it :p

7/10/2011 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics