Sunday, June 05, 2011

Freedom - four months of...

43 miles for the week. My first 20 miler of the training cycle.

This was my birthday week. It really ended up being a birthday week thanks to friends and family who cared... Starting from a surprise b'day cake from my sis, my niece and nephew singing happy birthday to some sort of birthday celebration happening on Friday, Sat and Sun. The latter was because my friends could not reach consensus on what an appropriate birthday celebration would constitute of for me. So they did their own thing in sub-groups. I remember seeing multiple FB events with "Subhasish's B'day" in them. At the end the joke was that even U2 was having his concert in Seattle to "celebrate Subhasish's birthday" :p

Year 1 of the MBA program was done with this week! I have a bunch of things I want to do with the 4 months I have from school... Lets see how much of it ends up happening...

Mon - REST
I got up at 5:30am meaning to run but after seeing the thunderstorm, hot and muggy weather I went back to sleep :p

Moment of the day: A conversion with my bil's friend's dad... He gave me advise on so many things in life in a way only someone who's seen it all can :) He said finally - "Don't get offended but I'm talking to you like I would to my own son..." He is 76 and in perfect health. Walks 8km or so every day. Moderation in diet, yoga, meditation, discipline,... Didn't hurt that he asked me if I was 25 :p

Tue - 6 miles
So happy to be back in cool and beautiful Seattle :)

Moment of the day: For the first time in my life I decided to ring in my birthday while running... By the waterfront, running all out. That's the way I want to feel - high on endorphins and in great shape for the rest of the year, rest of my life. Running has given me so much peace during the past few months. The second thing I did on my birthday was to get back to working on my final exam - good too :)

Wed - 11 miles
Today is my birthday. Coincidentally it's also being celebrated as "National Running Day". I've become too old to run my age in miles but I did run a fraction of it :)

I was feeling unusually low in the morning. Perhaps because I had not had much sleep working on my last take home final due today, it was raining outside and because ...

I was pretty stoked to hand in my final exam. That completed year 1 of my MBA program. This I am proud of (I'm not usually proud of much) because it was just so hard. I had wanted to quit so many times. I was so incredibly busy trying to do so many things with so little time. There were times I was asking myself why I was doing this when my friends were enjoying their weekends...

Moment of the day: I got to talk properly to my dad on the phone after a long time. My dad has Parkinsons' and usually it's very difficult to understand what he is saying on the phone. Most of the time I just keep talking guessing what he would have said. Sometimes he asks - "Can you hear what I am saying?". With him it's a lot about the mind and today he was determined to talk. He might not be around for much longer so I'm got to treasure these moments.

Sight of the day: I ran all the way to the Eliot Bay boat marina. The throngs of boats looked so beautiful with the backdrop of the Seattle skyline. I remember thinking - "I wish I could capture this image". I did - in my head :)

Thu - 6
Sarah McLaughlin's Ordinary Miracle was playing in my head http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4j_wrmpMnU. I last heard it at the Vancouver Olympics opening ceremony. Great memories... Amazing how much has happened since then :)

Sat - 20
I had intended to run 17 but Chris was getting in his last long run before RNR Seattle so I figured why not :) It was such an amazing day to be up running bright and early. The sail boats, the sandy beach by the Silhshoe marina, Discovery park, Elliott bay,...

It's nice to be in good enough shape to be able to run 20 miles at sub-8 pace without even thinking about it. No water. No gels. No reason. Just running for the sake of running :)

I was in a hurry so I just picked up the first T shirt I could find. It was the T from the infamous Seafair 2008 marathon. I've never seen another runner wearing this. Towards the end of my run I saw another girl wearing the same T. We shared a moment that only runners can and exchanged smiles :)

I saw a desi girl trying to run. Nice that she was out there but why did she have to dress like she was going on an expedition to Antarctica?

Cruise season appears to be commencing. The Norwegian Star was docked in Pier 67 and throngs of retirees had taken over the waterfront :p

Post run recovery drink - All I had in the apartment was milk and I found some tea from eons back. Turned out to be pretty good mixture :p Something I'll try out again.

Sight of the day: Mt. Rainier in all it's glory in on absolutely gorgeous day!
Event of the day: U2 in concert!!

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
...
Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
...
Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more



You're out of luck
And the reason that you had to care
The traffic is stuck
And you're not moving anywhere
...
It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away
...
You're on the road
But you've got no destination
You're in the mud
In the maze of her imagination
You love this town
Even if that doesn't ring true
You've been all over
And it's been all over you

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics