Sunday, May 15, 2011

Renewal

Renewal of running... Renewal of career

My first week at the new job. So far so good. It seems like a much better group. Nice people. Nice manager. Friendly people. Work I might enjoy more. A nice big window office with a good view. A 24 inch monitor. A tablet notebook. In building 34 (the one with the execs - Steve Balmer and where BillG used to be when he was around). Volleyball in the MS fields on Fri.

A Cofession: I have to get this out of my system but if I tell this to any of my friends they will mock me. I feel like I can write anything on this blog since it's kind of anonomyous. So here goes. I can't get the song Friday (by Rebecca Black) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 out of my head :p :p Going by the 142 million views it has, I think a lot of other people like it too but are just too coy to admit it.

38.5 miles  of running for the week. Not too bad.

Tue - 6 w/2 tempo
My first run after taking 6 days off. It was an awesome day and an awesome run. I had forgotten to get my Garmin. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I could run "naked". I signed up for 2 races today:

1) The Houston marathon 2012: I qualified for early entry. For the rest it's a lottery. This event will host the men's and women's Olympic marathon qualifier. That should be fun to watch!
2) The Fremont 5k: This will be my first 5k in over 7 years. My last 5k was on June 6th 2004 :) There was a half-price entry just for today so I signed up. It's a Friday evening race. Ideal to head out partying with the Chuckit folks after the run :)

Wed - 6
Chilly and windy. Quite a contrast

Sight of the day: The water glowing from the light of the crescent moon amidst the calm and quiet of the night.

Thurs - 6 w/4 @ tempo
Tempo miles: 6:44, 6:33, 6:41, 6:38
It's amazing how relaxing I find these runs. After the tempo miles I spend sometime gazing at the space needle with sculpture park in front of it. I'm so luck to get to run by the waterfront everyday. I will really miss when I finally have to move from downtown...

Sight of the day: A huge cruise ship was docked on Pier 66... I found myself mesmerized by the lights and grandeur.

Fri - 6
Strong run at an average pace of 7:19 min/mile, last 2 miles at 6:54 and 6:39.

Sight of the day: As I walked to work on a beautiful sunny day, I noticed the wind blowing the cherry blossoms onto the grass. I stopped and watched for a minute or two :)

Event of the day: The dueling pianoists in the Piano Bar running through so many of my favs...
Sat - 6

Wasn't as comfortable a run. Come to think of it, it was less than a day after yesterday's run and it was sunny + 60F (warmer than I usually run in).

Sun - 8.5  (8k - Beat the Bridge)

It was pouring at the Beat the Bridge 8k... Was not a fun experience nor was it enjoyable.

Event of the day: At the bus stop on my way back I ran into a guy from Australia. In the midst of chatting with him I found that he was a HR recruiter at a law firm at Seattle. He told me about how there was a desperate need for software patent lawyers with an engineering background... That sounded like something that would have been perfect for me - a niche! So I spent sometime researching what it would take for me to get a JD and realized that it would have been a perfect career choice 4 years back. At this point I didn't want to make the sacrifices that it would require to succeed. Oh well :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Plodding Blogger said...

Glad to hear the change is a positive one! Cherry blossom has been and gone here, alas, but it was beautiful for a time. Was that the 8k race you were talking about by the way?

5/17/2011 11:47 AM  
Blogger Sub said...

Thanks. It was a local 8k which didn't go too well. I'll post a short report of my misery.

5/17/2011 12:54 PM  
Blogger Plodding Blogger said...

Ah, OK. Well, if things didn't go quite to plan then I imagine credit is due for gritting your teeth! I look forward to reading up properly!

5/18/2011 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics