Sunday, March 27, 2011

The taper begins

The first week of taper always ends up being kind of odd. You've got to cut your mileage to begin the recovery but at the same time you're 3 weeks out so you can't stop training! 60.3 miles for the week. 13 days, 17 hours, 29 min, 6s ...

Mon - 6
I started off on the treadmill intending to do my usual Monday hill work. Very quickly I realized that my right quad was a little sore from yesterday. So I headed out for a run outside. This is precisely the situation where you've got to let your leg tell you how fast to go and not a machine!

Tue - 8 w/4*mile repeats
What a feeling to be doing these track workouts in daylight! Neal and Robin did not race on Sunday. They really pushed the pace on the repeats. Had I done them on my own they would have been much slower. I eased up on the last repeat. Splits: 6:15, 6:12, 6:13, 6:25

Moment of the day: I was wrapping up my run when I saw this sight in Green Lake. I was awestruck. I had to stop and take a pic with my cell-phone. I am thankful to be living in such a beautiful part of the world!!

Wed - 7
It had gotten late so I ran on the TM. Started off in the 8:30s and finished in the 6:30s for an average pace of 7:28... Not too bad.

Today I signed up to run two half marathons on two consecutive days. An official pacer for the 1:45 time at the Rock and Roll Seattle half. The next day I intend to race the Scotiabank Vancouver half. The latter is my favorite half marathon thus far. Should be interesting.

Thur - 10 w/12*400m
I officially declare that I hate 400s. I never liked them in high school and I don't like them now. I don't like them in the rain. I don't like them alone.

I was just not born with fast twitch muscles ...

Fri - 8
Relaxed run... All I saw on the trail were 2 ducks, a few bikers and a runner (we waved as we passed)...

Sat - 15
I decided to run alone and do loops around Green Lake - a known and soft running surface. It's too close to the end goal to take risks. Moreover I wanted to control the pace I ran at. I started off slowly, progressed to MP and finished faster than MP for an average pace of 7:37. It was not planned. I just went by feel.

Splits:
8:50, 8:19, 8:14, 8:05, 8:03,
7:36, 7:30, 7:26, 7:21, 7:13,
7:18, 7:09, 7:03, 7:09, 6:53

The Dizzy Dave 13.1m/26.2m/50k/100k was happening at Green Lake today. As I passed the runners they would look to see if I had a bib on. I would have done the same and then thought in my head - "Whatever! I am running an ultra marathon and you are not! :)"

Observation of the day: The Cherry Blossoms are blooming. Spring is here! Summer's not too far away :)

Sun - 6
Legs appear to be feeling decent...
Splits: 7:58, 7:19, 7:09, 7:00, 6:39,6:45 -> Avg pace: 7:08

Sight of the day: A bride getting her wedding pics taken at Olympic Sculpture park...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics