Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Chilean miner - New York marathon

Edison Peña gained worldwide fame when he was rescued from the gold and copper mine near Copiapo, Chile, on October 13 and revealed that he’d regularly run three to six miles through the underground tunnels while he and 32 others were trapped for 69 days. The fitness fanatic and Elvis Presley enthusiast jogged in his heavy miners' boots each day through dark uneven tunnels finding his footing by the light of his miner's lamp.

"When I ran in the darkness, I was running for life," he explained. "I wanted to show God that I wanted to live. I was saying to the mine, I'm going to run until you're just bored and tired of me, and I did it."

Peña accepted an invitation to come to NYC for the ING New York City Marathon—and announced that he would run the 26.2-mile race. Peña’s run celebrated the marathon as an affirmation of life and triumph over seemingly insurmountable odds. He battled a knee injury and some pain but finished in 5 hours and 40 minutes a bit under the six hours he said he expected. In his dark glasses, wearing a knee support due to an injury in the mine, and carrying a Chilean flag, Pena crossed yet another daunting finish line.

"I have a strong desire to motivate the others. This is the most important thing for me."

*----*----*

I got to change my shoes this week. I finally logged 300 miles on my current pair. The new pair sure felt good to run on! I thought about the miner's shoes. Also, I reflected on the shoes I used to run in, in school (pictured here :)).

How spoilt I am these days - $120+ Mizuno shoes with $400+ custom orthodics...

42 more miles this week. I took Friday off from running. I had to fight the urge to get in a run and listen to my body - I needed a rest day. I however did run 12 miles on Saturday. It's about time I start building up towards a weekly long run.

The Paris marathon is now sold out so it's a good thing I registered... Less than 150 days to go!

Sight of the day: 40+ sail boats on Elliott bay during my run today

Interesting observation: A new store has opened up near my apartment. They hand out chocolate every Sunday when I head out for my run. It's classy chocolate so I dare not decline :p

Culinary discovery of the week: Cabbage and eggplant curry. Of course I again had to counter skeptics who doubted the aesthetics of such a combination but ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics