Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Arctic blast - remembering Boston

When mother nature bestows snow on Seattle, Seattle shuts down... It's a city that does not know how to deal with snow. We do not salt the roads because it's not environmentally friendly. So driving becomes outright dangerous. Thankfully, we can always count on the snow to melt soon :)

Hardly, anyone came into work on Monday. My normal bus commute took me double the time. Some of my friends who had driven had to spend hours on the road. Thankfully, UW shut down because of a "weather emergency". I could run earlier instead of the normal 11pm after-class run.

It's been awhile since I've run in these kinds of conditions - cold and snowy. It reminded me of winter running in Boston. This article from a journalist in my old running club sums things up: Cold Feat ...

The bottom line is that we can run through anything if we're appropriately dressed. Once the wind chill drops into the teens I tend to over-dress a bit. I don't want to end up with hypothermia if for some reason I have to stop running!

Running on soft snow is a lot of fun! It's when I have to start dealing with black ice and it gets slippery or there is a lot of salt on the road, that it's more of a predicament. Obviously, I'm running at a slower pace than normal due to the decreased traction. However, it's a different/novel experience.

It felt magical as I ran through my normal route by Eliot bay. I wished I could have captured what I felt and saw. I did - it's taped in my head :) I did have my small camera with me but there's only that much it can capture :) The water-vapor rising from the Bay, the snowy ships in the dock, the snow covered empty trails... Peaceful and tranquil!

While Monday's run was in the night, I ran in the mornings on Tuesday and Wednesday. Actually, I did a double on Wednesday - 6 miles in the morning and 6 miles in the evening. It's been a long time since I've run a double. I had to compensate for missing my run on Thanksgiving day.

We had a very mild winter last year due to La Nina. This year winter is predicted to be harsh because of Al Nino so it's good that I have my running act together!

Observation of the week: There was a lady typing on a typewriter (yes an actual typewriter!) on the bus. People were so fascinated that they were taking pictures of her on their cellphones and with cameras. Reminded me of the days when I was a kid. Typewriters were commonplace. I used to go to Gariahat with my dad to get documents typed by one of several typists on the street :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics