Monday, September 10, 2007

Kayaking Friday & a reason for optimism

On Friday I went kayaking on Lk. Washington as part of our team morale event. The weather was perfect. It was an amazing experience to be in the midst of nature - ducks, herons, turtles, vegetation, beaver lodges... I'll surely be back kayaking there again.

Today was the first time since my injury that I was able to finish a run without feeling my ITB. I ran a bit at tempo pace and the rest at a decent clip. This is surely a cause for optimism. My PT has given me a whole bunch of ITB stretching/strengthening exercises so I think I am on the right track.

I would not have even considered running the St. George marathon at this point had I not planned a vacation around it. I am really looking forward to this vacation in Utah.

The tests I must pass to attempt to finish the marathon:
i) A pain free 16 miler
ii) A pain free hilly 5 miler stressing my ITB.

Why I don't want to attempt to finish this if I don't pass the above tests:
i) Instead of wasting time on a DNF I can spend the time vacationing
ii) This particular brand of ITB injury is very debilitating on hills. It saps away all your power. Even walking up/down hills ends up being very painful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics