Saturday, August 18, 2007

Anything worse than walking it in?

Is there anything worse than having to walk back in the middle of your run because you're incapable of continuing? I had inflamed my ITB while pushing it up a steep hill last week. I should have known better than to try running hilly routes on Thursday and today. I guess the fact that I want to try and finish St.George in a comfortable manner and I have not gotten in enough hills for that was partly responsible for distorting my judgement. Today after 5 miles I decided that the ITB pain (around my hip) was not worth making worse. So I walked about 4.5 miles on the Bridle trails to get back home. It would not have been a bad walk except that it's not fun walking up or down hills when you ITB is acting up.

I've never experienced this injury but I've heard of a lot of people dealing with it. I think I have a very mild version of it so I've got to nip this in the bud. I think my next few runs will be on the TM with 0.5% grade. If I need to stop at least I won't have to walk back and be able to start cross-training. Looks like I need to find the hip abduction machine in the gym as well :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

I haven't had ITB problems, but I've walk more than my share of miles do to injuries or exhaustion caused by the heat.

You'll heal quickly.

8/21/2007 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I'm with Phil - I don't have that injury, but can think of only one thing worse than walking back - not running at all. Take care and don't push it.

8/24/2007 5:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics