Saturday, July 28, 2007

The motivating story of Jim MacLaren

I came across the inspiring story of Jim MacLaren on Larry King Live today.

"Appearances can be deceiving. Jim MacLaren is living proof. Confined to a high-tech wheelchair, his left leg missing below the knee, MacLaren at first glance might seem vulnerable. His condition is the result of two devastating accidents, eight years apart, which reduced him from a collegiate football star and aspiring actor to an amputee and then a quadriplegic. Yet this man, one who doctors predicted would never move below the neck, has nurtured such remarkable inner strength that has and continues to inspire millions. That's Jim MacLaren's reality, but only part of the full life Jim ensures himself everyday. This former champion triathlete has much to teach us and reciprocally knows and is grateful for all that is still ahead for him to learn."

"He says. I didn't compete against other people. I was competing against me. A buddy once said, 'Mac, nobody cares how fast you go, they just love that you're doing it.'

"He competed and set scores of records in some of the toughest races on the planet, including the New York City Marathon and the Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii."

He went onto finish a marathon in 3 hours and 16 minutes...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

I can remember seeing his story on TV as part of an ironman race story. It has stuck with me for a long time. Too have such strength, wow.

7/30/2007 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

forgot my name....

7/30/2007 8:19 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Great post. I'll be back in Redmond this week and hope to use the experience to get my groove back. Here I am feeling sorry for myself because I'm 15 pounds over goal weight and running really sluggishly ... and then I read your post and it sort of puts things in perspective. Thanks.

7/31/2007 11:56 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/01/2007 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics