Monday, June 04, 2007

Battling the elements

Today's 20 miler was more of a mental victory than anything else.

With temps getting up to 85F and it being sunny all day I waited until 6:30pm before I started my run. It was still 79F and sunny when I started but I knew it would get cooler and the sun would set by the time I finished. The first 40 minutes was quite a struggle. I just focused on running and not worrying about the fact that I needed to run 20 miles in all. That was when I had a break through of sorts. I decided to take off my shirt. Running felt much better for the rest of the run. I had forgotten to body glide up so this was a smart move for more reasons than one.

Apart from the heat I was still dealing with remnants of my VMO injury and I had managed to re-twist my ankle yesterday (this time it was not as bad as last week so I was able to run on it).

For the second half of my run I was battling fatigue more than the heat. The sun had set and there was a gentle breeze. I had to run through a rain shower too. Running in the rain when you don't have a shirt on is kind of fun. The sweet smell of rain in the midst of the heat is very different from that of cold rain.

I don't seem to be too sore from this 20 miler. I now kick off the Pfitz 70/18 for St. George. With this 20 miler I've crossed 1000 miles for the year. I know that's not much but considering I ran only 1200 miles last year this is a victory of sorts...

Week: Mon - 10, Thur - 14, Fri - 10, Sat - 6, Sun - 20
Total: 60.1

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Starting a Pftiz cycle after a successful 20 miler in hot / humid weather must be a great feeling. Congrats.

6/05/2007 12:57 AM  
Blogger Banking Miles said...

happy belated bday and good luck on the start of the 18/70. hopefully it does not get too hot.

6/06/2007 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics