Saturday, May 19, 2007

Adding Insult to Injury...

This week had been progressing pretty well. The injuries on my right leg had been gradually healing. My ITB & VMO pain had almost become a non-issue. However, I noticed that while compensating for them I aggravated my hamstring. The complex mechanics of running! So I made a conscious effort to run with my normal form. This eased the pressure on the hammy. Finally I was on the path to running injury free...

I started all my runs (6,6,10,6,X) this week at 8pm and still finished in daylight as the sun set! After June 21st, the days will again start getting shorter so I've got to appreciate the extended light while it lasts.

I had high hopes for the weekend. I had intended to get in 22 miles in total to hit 50 for the week. Today was a beautiful day for running. I was just getting into my stride but suddenly after I had run about 1.5 miles I twisted my ankle on the grass! It was such a jolt of pain, I knew I had to have done some damage... Thinking about it what was funny was that before I lay on the grass I remembered to pause my Garmin. It was really nice of a biker to stop and ask me if I was OK & if I needed to call someone for help.

I tried to run after a bit but I had to stop after half a mile. I knew I would not make it far and I would have to run back too... I stopped and slowly began to walk back home. 2.5 miles takes a long time to cover especially while walking on a twisted ankle! So instead of running 14-16 miles I ran 2 and walked 3.

I've been running on the grassy trail all year but the grass has grown quite a bit in the last month making the surface uneven. I will have to start running on asphalt again.

I'm icing my ankle as I write. Hopefully, I'll be able to get in a run tomorrow. However, I don't intend to have to walk back again ... I might go for a swim instead. Swimming is always a humbling experience for me. I find myself panting after 3-4 laps at a slow pace while on the fast lane there are folks breezing by without breaking a sweat.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pure Virtual Function said...

Dang Sub! Hope the ankle is nothing big. I can't believe you were approaching 50 miles in a week so soon after Eugene! I am just hitting 30 this week! =) And not gracefully either. Hope you recover quickly.

5/22/2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics