Monday, April 02, 2007

St George Marathon lottery

(XT,8,8,XT,4,10,17)=47; Week 21/24 (in 23)

I mailed my entry for the St George Marathon lottery yesterday. Ever since I had to spend a night in the Salt Lake city airport (watching the tourism Utah ads) I've been hoping I make it through this lottery. This is supposed to be one of the most scenic marathons around. I would also be able to combine this with a tour of the awesome Zion national park. Driving down to St George from Vegas would just add to the fun. (Fingers crossed for the lottery results on May 7th)

Mon - 10 min XT (at PT) + 60 min XT (Gym)

Tue - Treadmill, 8 w/5*600m @ 5k, 90s jog in between: The intervals felt comfortable. I ran 3 miles at tempoish pace after that.

Wed- Cloudy, 52F, GA 8: It was a very busy day at work. As a result I couldn't start running before 7:30pm. I got in about half my run before it became dark. I saw three others running in the dark. Spring seems to be bringing more people to the trail which is nice.

Thur- 60 min XT

Fri- Sunny, 70F, GA 4 w/6*100m striders: More like a summer day...

Sat- Cloudy, 63F, 10 GA w/4 LT: I had intended to run another 15k time trial at hopefully a faster pace than last week. However, after 4 miles I noticed that I was having to work too hard to just maintain last week's pace. This was so demoralizing that I stopped and stared at the river for about 5 minutes and then eased through the remaining miles. At this point I'm tired, disappointed and hurting. I've got to finish what I started in November - get in the last few runs and ease through probably a 3:30 marathon.

Sun- Sunny, Cloudy, Rain, 62F-55F, Long 17: 16.43 @ 7:53 & 17 (including last hill) @ 7:56. At the very least this long run was faster than 3:30 marathon pace with much lower than marathon HR. When I started the run it was sunny and warm, but by the end it had transformed to windy, rainy and cloudy. I started off with a bottle of Gatorade for the first time since last summer. This ended up being a smart move since I was sweating more than normal when the sun was out.

5 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Best of luck with the St. George Lottery. It looks like a great marathon.

4/03/2007 12:52 AM  
Blogger Ginger Breadman said...

good luck on the lottery! It'd be a great part of the country to wander through, and what better excuse than to have a scenic marathon to run.

4/03/2007 2:33 PM  
Blogger Banking Miles said...

St. George is known to be fast, given the finishing times and downhill course. I heard that the lottery was a bit of a gimmick to get people to register early because the race usually does not fill completely. Take a look at marathonguide.com if you have not done so already.

4/03/2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Sub said...

Yeah. If I don't run a good time there I can atleast enjoy the scenery :)

I know folks who have not made it through the lottery so people do get filtered out. It looks like it does not fill up because some folks who register do not make it there. It's a fast course but I heard there are some difficult climbs in the first half.

4/03/2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

Good Luck with the lottery.

4/04/2007 1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics