Monday, March 12, 2007

47 days, 9 hours, 11 minutes, 9s.8s.7s...

The clock on the Eugene marathon web page keeps counting down...

(8,X,9,11,5,17,XT)=50; Week 18/24 (in 23)

Mon - Cloudy, Dark, 42F(38F), GA 8: I didn't get in my run in the morning. I was pretty sore since it was hardly 12 hours after my long run yesterday. As usual I ended up going to sleep late on Sunday. Seeing the rain outside was not inspiring either.

I decided to run in the evening since with DST I'd be able to leave work in daylight. Unfortunately, I left my house keys at work so I ended up having to head back after reaching home. I considered getting in my run on the TM but that's always a last resort. I donned my reflective vest for the first time since the Hood to Coast relay and headed outside. It was 7:15pm by the time I started running so it became completely dark in about 15 minutes. After the first couple of miles the trail is pretty desolate... The run was pretty enjoyable and surely better than the monotony of the treadmill. However, I realized how critical my switch to morning running was for this training cycle. I would have never been able to get through 24 weeks in the dark or on the TM...

Wed - Treadmill, VO2Max 9 w/ 5*1000 @ 5k w/ 2 min jog in between: I tried to do this workout yesterday at the Lake Washington high school track in Kirkland. However, I found this track to be locked as well like the high school in Redmond. I don't get it - why do they have a problem letting the public use their tracks? It's our property tax that is paying for these and we're trying to use it when there are no kids in school. It's not like there is a fitness epidemic in WA. In MA they had no problem with this. I was so put off by this that I took a rest day.

This turned out to be a good thing. I was well rested for the workout today. I made sure I did not start out the intervals too fast. I got through all the intervals at a steady pace but was spent by the last interval (which was good). Running on the treadmill always has a feel good effect on me. I get to compare my fitness with the rest of the folks running on the TM. It's rare for any of them to match me in terms of distance or pace - I was at their fitness level three years back ...

Thur - Cloudy, 34F(30F), Medium-Long 11: Less than 12 hours after yesterday's run. More of the "tired legs" theme. By the end of the run I was feeling it.

Fri - Cloudy, 61F, Recovery 5 w/6*100m: I ran after work but I finished before it got dark. It looks like every time the north-east has a snow storm we have an awesome weather day...

Sat - Cloudy, Light Rain, 53F, 12mph winds, Long 17 w/14 @ PMP: Given the half next week I was not too worried about hitting PMP for 14 miles. However, I did want to at least make sure that I had 14 sub-8 miles. I managed that comfortably, with all except for the first 3 being sub-7:50, averaging 7:51 for the 14. It was a nice run and went by quickly since I was focused on my pace. While returning I did have to again run into the wind but it wasn't as bad as last week. The rain and wind was less intense. My legs were less tired so I was able to push harder. Also, perhaps it's easier to run into the wind at a faster pace.

Sun - 60 min XT

4 Comments:

Blogger Banking Miles said...

The countdown to your marathon is unstoppable. But so far your training has also been unstoppable - come high winds or pitch darkness. The nice weather and long days are right around the corner...I hope.

3/13/2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Sub said...

True. Once we get on a schedule it takes something drastic for us to miss a workout :)

I'm looking forward to Spring too!

3/14/2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

34F on Thursday and 61F on Friday. That's a huge temperature swing. Great set of work outs this week.

3/17/2007 6:54 PM  
Blogger Sub said...

Thanks.

Fri was a little warmer than normal and Thur a little cooler. The temperature difference between my runs was exaggerated because I ran in the morning on Thur but in the evening on Fri.

3/17/2007 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics