Monday, February 05, 2007

Peak mileage week

(13,6+XT,9+XT,12,X,18,6)=64.5; Week 12/24 (in 23)

Deficit (5R, 8VO2max, 11) = 24 Miles

Mon- Cloudy, 44F - 13 Medium Long: I didn't fall asleep till 3:30am. This is not unusual for Sundays when I oversleep. So I did not think it would be wise to wake up early. Instead I snuck out for my run (2nd makeup run for week 24) during lunch time. I saw more runners on the trail than I see in the morning. These were serious runners (I guess why else would they be running of all things in the middle of the day :-) with Boston marathon shorts etc. It was foggy & felt nice. I ended up averaging a sub-8 pace for the run (faster than MLR pace) perhaps aware of the fact that I needed to head back to work ASAP.

I was thankful that I was not in Boston today. The wind-chill there as I ran was sub zero! I remembered how I had to run with a balaclava in sub-zero temps in 2005... Today I was able to run in just a T & shorts.

Tue- Cloudy, 41F - 6 Recovery: My last run before I retire my current pair of running shoes. It's been good to me for a shoe mileage PR of 603.6 miles. It still has quite a bit of life in it so I'll have to see if there is a collection center for "One World Running" around here.
PM- 60 min XT

Wed- Cloudy, Drizzle, 46F - VO2Max 9 w/6*800m@5k, 2min jog in between : My first VO2 max workout in 15 months! I tried to find a track to do the w/o but the local high school track was locked. I ended up doing the w/o on the trail. This probably makes more sense anyway given that marathons are not run on rubberized tracks. Note to self: Thou shall not eat spicy food the night before a vo2 max workout (hint: heart burn).
PM- 60 min XT

Thur- Cloudy, 44F - 12 Medium Long: I added the steep hill leading to the trail into my run today. So the biker's comments on Saturday did help spur me on. Running up this hill at the end of my runs will surely make me mentally tougher. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's rest day after 10 straight days of running.

Fri - Rest: I made it to a Bill Gates talk on his foundation (the third time I got to see BillG in person). Melinda Gates joined him for the Q&A. The talk was interesting, informative and motivating.

Sat- Cloudy w/ sunny breaks, 56F - 18 Long: A beautiful day!

I made it to the Kings-Sonics game today. It was worth seeing Artest, Bibby and Abdur-Rahim but that's it for this season. The Sonics suck so badly that it's demoralizing and painful to watch their games.

Sun,- Cloudy, 50F - 6 Recovery w/6*100m striders: Thought about the great cause Chris is running his marathon for.

6 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

After a cold January across the west, February is shaping up to be a great month for running. It's amazing how much you push yourself when you're focused on getting in the mileage, but feel a real time constraint.

2/06/2007 8:10 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

Yeah we're lucky but the midwest and the northeast are having a brutal time.

It's some what like what happens in a race - you end up running much faster than you normally do. It's as if you've switched to a different gear.

2/06/2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Bapp said...

I am planning on running the Newport Marathon in Oregon. It is a smaller marathon but I heard great things about it.

2/07/2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

I know someone who ran Newport. He was raving about it too!

2/07/2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Faithful Soles said...

I enjoyed reading your blog, and congrats on your high mileage week. You will only get stronger as time goes on and by sticking to your training, which is definitely what you are doing. Great job! If you get a chance, please visit my running web site, Faithful Soles. I have a categorized and searchable Running Blog Database on there and would appreciate it if you would link your blog to it. I also have my own blog that you can link to from here, but most of my information is on the main web site. Thanks and continued good luck in your training.

2/13/2007 4:31 AM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

Thanks for your comments FS. Good luck at Austin!

2/13/2007 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics