Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Finally a 20 mile long run...

(XT,11+XT,6,13,5+XT,20,5+XT)=60.1; Week 13/24 (in 23)

Deficit (8VO2max, 11) = 19 Miles

My training for Eugene is going to end up being pretty different from my training for my PR at Steamtown. The differences:

i) Peak mileage: Steamtown (82), Eugene (64)
ii) Number of 20+ milers: Steamtown (7), Eugene (3)
iii) Weeks of training: Steamtown (15), Eugene (23)
iv) Longest run: Steamtown (23), Eugene (21)
v) Normal weekly mileage: Steamtown (60-80), Eugene (40-60)

I've been wondering how these differences will impact my final result. I had a feeling while training for Steamtown that I might have crossed a mileage threshold beyond which I was getting no benefit but just prolonging my recovery. So this could play out in a couple of ways:

i) I will be fresh and appropriately trained for Eugene
ii) Unlike Steamtown where I had a very strong second half and last 10k, at Eugene I will suffer and fade during the last 10k.

We shall see in 11 weeks...

Mon - 60 min XT

Tue - Cloudy w/rain , 40F - 11 w/6 LT: Need more than 5 1/2 hrs of sleep!
PM - 60 min XT

Wed - Cloudy, 42F - 6 Recovery w/6 *100m striders

Thurs - Cloudy, 23mph winds, 49F(43F), Drizzle - 13 Medium-Long: It was very difficult running into such a strong head wind. It was as if I was running into a wall. At least I avoided the predicted downpour.

I was running after just 4 hours of sleep. I was feeling so tired last night but I just could not fall asleep as I thought about work and other stuff. In the morning I was tempted to sleep in but I realized that I had to get in the 13 miler. I would not have been able to reschedule it as I needed to get in 20 on Sat (when the weather is supposed to be perfect). I guess I'll just have to turn off the lights in my office and sneak in a couple of cat naps :)

Fri - Cloudy, 44F, Cloudy w/sunny breaks - 5 Recovery
PM - 60 min XT
Sat - Sunny, 55-60F - 20 Long: WOW! It's not because I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate (I've been using it for 9 months now so it does not make me go wow any more) but because I saw a bald eagle perched high on a tree during my run today. She was so arrogant, pompous and regal! She completely ignored the 20-30 odd people below, excited at seeing her and some of whom were taking pictures. There's no doubt that this is the most appropriate choice for the American national bird :)

It kind of nice to get that first 20 miler of the training cycle out of the way. A 20 miler is a check mark item in any marathon readiness list.

Sun - Cloudy, 47F(41F) - 5 Recovery, 60 min XT

4 Comments:

Blogger Bapp said...

I agree - it is hard to predict how the differences in your training will affect your performance. The races are different as well. You had a pretty good time at the RNR Half - which occurred early in your training - so maybe your overall fitness is even better now.

2/14/2007 8:53 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

I guess the only thing we can do is to vary our training to see what works for us :)

I'm might do a 18/70 for my fall 'thon so that'll give me more data points...

2/14/2007 9:11 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

It's not like you're slacking off! Looks like you're getting in plenty of quality workouts and being careful not to over train. I wouldn't be suprised if the longer training interval coupled with the lower average over stress on your legs will produce superior results.

2/14/2007 9:55 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

I'm hoping so too. I've never trained consistently for a 23-24 week period...

Some folks I know are able to run great races with just 3 quality runs each week. They have been running for years through.

2/14/2007 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics