Friday, January 19, 2007

Eugene for Vancouver

I've decided to run the inaugural Eugene marathon instead of Vancouver. There have been quite a few positive vibes about it lately. It's quite a legendary running city with the all those national championships (as the race website puts it you'll be "running in the footsteps of legends"). I'm sure the race will be well organized. It looks like a very fast and scenic course! Also, I wasn't too excited about the Ultima sports drink at Vancouver. From what I heard last year it's organization was a mess.

This means I'm now one week short in the 55/24. I'll cut week 15 (the recovery week). I might try to squeeze some of the runs in other weeks if I am feeling strong.

I also signed up for the Mercer Island Half today. This is a hilly course. I did the half marathon loop as a training run in May. If I can PR on this it will be quite satisfying.

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Besides the two 100' climbs on mile 1 and mile 5, Eugene looks like a great course and Eugene has to be a far more interesting course than Phoenix. Good luck with the training.

1/20/2007 7:21 PM  
Blogger Bapp said...

Good choice on not running Vancouver. I keep reading bad things about last year's race. There is a lot of excitement about Eugene - hopefully that will translate into a good marathon. I am also planning on running Mercer as a prep race during my training. The elevation chart does look hilly and will be a good challenge.

1/20/2007 8:27 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

True Phil. I did notice the 100' odd climbs but the good thing is that they come early on. It will just make sure I don't go out too fast :) Vancouver too had a couple of similar climbs in Stanley park around mile 17ish. Hopefully, you're getting a good night sleep at this very moment before the 'thon. Will be looking out for your race report!

Bapp, Atleast the Mercer half will be very scenic - passing by some cool mansions and Lk Washington. I was willing to give Vancouver the benefit of the doubt since it had been well organized in previous years but the hype around Eugene surely makes it sound cooler...

1/21/2007 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics