Saturday, December 30, 2006

Back to WA

(5,9,X,16,5=50)



Wed: To the left is the view I woke up to (Note: snow is very rare in the Seattle area and common in the Northeast, which has hardly seen any this season). After being spoilt with such nice weather in NY, my first run back was in freezing rain. I'm pretty satisfied that I did brave the conditions and got in my run.

Thur: It was below freezing temperature (29F) but I was still able to go out in shorts. I haven't had to resort to longs yet this season. There were a lot more runners that I had seen in my last few morning runs. I think this is because the 18 week point for spring marathons (especially Boston) starts this week. I witnessed a huge flock of flying chirping birds - something you'd only see in day break. As I finished I noticed that the sweat on my eyebrows and on my leg hair had formed icicles. So this is proof that human hair is not a good conductor of heat.

Sat: After a complete rest day on Friday this run felt great. I actually ended up running this faster than all my shorter runs this week. It was nice to have the sun out (and it was in the 40s). I didn't even bother wearing gloves. For long runs after getting warmed gloves generally tend to be a burden. I also passed my manager walking on the trail with his wife. My last long run of the year ended up being one of my most enjoyable ones.

Sun (Sunny,44F) - An uneventful 5 mile recovery run. I finally got my Garmin Forerunner 301 HRM working again (it needed a battery change). I experienced quite a surreal experience at the Bellevue Botanical Gardens - Garden d'Lights.


2 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Good to hear that people are out and running again in Redmond. On my last trip, I ran 8 miles along the Sammamish River and didn't see another runner. If you're out running on the snow in shorts, you're a lot tougher than me. Once the temperature drops below 40, the tights come out.

Have a great week.

1/02/2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger Subhasish Bhattacharya said...

Yeah, looks like the runners are coming out again! Though there are some "fair" weather runners who get scared by the rain, wind, snow ... :)

I guess running through a couple of winters in Boston allows me to appreciate the 40F odd temps here. Moreover, I hate running in longs so unless I really need to I'm sticking to shorts.

Happy trails!

1/02/2007 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics